Each state has its own state CME requirements to fulfill – some depend on the amount of CME you earn, others center more on your educational hours. It can be hard to keep track. Iowa requires a lot of CME credits and mandates that you split some of your credits between designated subjects. And trying to keep track of all these requirements may be tedious for you.
For your convenience, we at GIBLIB have curated all your state CME required topics and credits in one blog. Now, you can fulfill some of your CME needs in one place. Review your requirements and watch videos linked below that will fulfill them. Use our easy-to-access resource to make fulfilling your requirements less of a chore.
For both Iowa MD and DO physicians, you’ll need to fulfill the following:
“40 hours every 2 years; may include up to 20 hours of credit carried over from the previous license period. A licensee who regularly provides primary health care to children must complete two hours of training in child abuse identification in the previous five years. A primary care provider must complete two hours of training in dependent adult abuse identification and reporting in the previous five years.
The Board will accept as equivalent to 50 hours of Category 1 activity, participation in an approved resident training program or board certification or recertification by an ABMS or AOA specialty board within the licensing period. Iowa-licensed physicians who provide primary care must complete two hours of Category 1 training for chronic pain management and two hours of Category 1 training for end-of-life care every five years.” – FSMB
- CME Credits Required: 40
- Term(Years): 2
- AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™ required: 20
- Required Topics: 2 credits child abuse identification, 2 credits adult abuse identification; 2 credits chronic pain management; 2 credits end-of-life care
PAIN MANAGEMENT REQUIREMENT:
- Opioids: Use, Abuse and Alternatives Conference (17 credits)
- Opioid Conference: Evidence, Clinical Considerations and Best Practice (8 credits)
- Pharmacologic Neuropathic Pain Management (0.5 credits)
- Opioids and Chronic Pain Management (0.5 credits)
- Interventional Alternatives to Opioids in Pain Management (0.5 credits)
- Let's Hash it Out: Medical Marijuana in Chronic Pain Management (0.5 credits)
- Spine: Approach to Neck Pain, Back Pain, and Radiculopathy (0.5 credits)
- Chronic Pain and Opioids (0.5 credits)
- Multidisciplinary Approach to Pelvic Pain (0.5 credits)
- Neuropathic Pain: Beyond Gabapentinoids and Duloxetine (0.5 credits)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Chronic Pain (0.5 credits)
- Interventional Pain Procedures in Palliative Care (0.5)
- Chronic Pain in Primary Care: Controversies and Opportunities (1 credit)
- Multidisciplinary Opioid Management (0.5 credits)
- Using Opioids in Older Adults (0.5 credits)
- Watch more Pain Management videos here.
END-OF-LIFE CARE REQUIREMENT:
- Care of the Older Adult Course (8.25 credits)
- Ethical Issues at the End of Life (0.5 credits)
- Withdrawal of Life Support in Acute Neurological Disease: Futile Care (0.5 credits)
- Addressing Advance Care Planning and Goals of Care in Older Adults (0.5 credits)
- Palliative Care Meds (0.75 credits)
- Palliative Care in the Hospital (0.5 credits)
- Interventional Pain Procedures in Palliative Care (0.5 credits)
- Palliative Medicine Pearls (0.5 credits)
- Watch more Geriatric Medicine videos here.